Morning Interlude: Green Goddess Egg Tartine with Basil & Passionate Pesto
"A wanton woman is one who with cunning and deliberation prepares a meal which will draw another person to her..." M. F. K. Fisher
When you are in a dreamy state of morning afterglow, these simple egg tartines are perfect with a pot of tea. You can arrange your own variations depending on what ingredients you have on hand and inside your refrigerator. If you've had a long night of love, these make a perfect interlude of nourishment, and give you energy for more. Then all you will have to worry about is what to do for lunch. So don't make the bed.
Find some fresh bread (Think ahead! Buy bread and ingredients the day before if you want a lazy morning egg creation) and create your lovers morning delight.
mise en place: homemade pesto, smoked gouda, parmigiano, organic honey baked ham, fresh basil, fresh chives, poached or soft-boiled eggs, balsamic cream, fresh bread or English muffins.
Pesto is very easy to make and versatile not only in uses but in kinds of pesto. If you have a good blender or Cuisinart, you can make it fresh and use it right away. It's good to make ahead of time and store in the refrigerator as well.
- Basil is an aphrodisiac. Italians began hand making pesto since the 17th century, using a mortar and pestle rather than an electric blender. So consider yourself lucky. If you want to enhance your health and vitality, pesto is full of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and basil--- all you need is to benefit from the magic!
- Pine Nuts have magical fertility powers. And Pine Nuts have been known aphrodisiacs for centuries. Consider these little pine gems as the secret pixie dust for your love spells and recipes, an essential ingredient for true aproned witchery (or wizardry). Yes, use Pine Nuts in Passionate Pesto if you want to hypnotize your lover.
- Basil is Goddess Approved! The Voudou Goddess Erzulie (Haitian version of Aphrodite or Venus) loves basil and it is symbolic of love. Yes, the coquettish goddess of love and desire would certainly use the aromatic basil in her lover's morning egg dish, and so...
Entice your lover. Whip up some pesto if you haven't already.
Recipe for Passionate Pesto:
Find several fragrant bunches of fresh basil at your local farmers market.
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (Malibu Olive Company)
- fresh bunches of basil
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed by your darling)
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice (squeezed by your hands)
- 1/2 cup of grated parmigiano cheese
- small handful of arugula (adds spice)
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts (pignolia)
- pinch of pink salt and ground pepper
- Put the leaves of basil and arugula in with the pine nuts and pulse a little in your food processor/blender. Add the garlic and pulse more. Pour in your lemon juice.
- Add the olive oil in a steady pouring while the blender is on low. Add the parmigiano cheese and pulse again until blended. Add the pink salt (ground) and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- homemade pesto
- smoked gouda
- organic honey baked ham
- fresh basil, chiffonade or torn in pieces
- fresh chives, minced fine
- poached or soft-boiled eggs
- balsamic cream
- fresh bread or English muffins